Europe 2013 - Part 3: Amsterdam! Heineken Factory!


I didn't take too many pictures in Amsterdam...other than the airport are some parts of town. Most of the town is the Red Light District.  Correction, most of the interesting parts of town is in the Red Light District.  You are not allowed to take pictures so I didn't.  I tried, but as soon as I took out my camera I got yelled at.  Well, it's what you'd expect.  So, I'll review the more interesting parts of town, the airport!



Liquors of the World!  Travel the world with the sip of a drink!


To purchase train tickets with a credit card, you must have a credit card PIN!
If you don't (I didn't), you can go to the counter to pay with an American credit card that uses "signature" technology.


This is Amsterdam Central Station!



"Coffee Shops" - Space Cake
As the name implies, it's cake that takes you to space (via marijuana infused treats).  I did happen to partake while I was there.  I don't really have any tolerance for marijuana since I don't really ever partake, which led me on a little adventure.  They said not to eat the entire slice of cake since I had little tolerance, but the cake was sooooo good I couldn't stop myself.  

So after several alcoholic beverages and an entire slice of space cake, I decided to take a walk and explore the town (it was about 23:30).  I'm walking around down one of the paths that happens to be along a canal.  The buildings are on my left and the canal is on my right, I feel myself take a long blink, and open my eyes to the reverse.  The buildings are now on my right and the canal on my left.  It was now 01:00 and I'm about two miles North of where I thought I was.  I entered a nearby bar for there Wi-Fi and to get my bearings.  Also it was snowing outside.  It was March in Europe, so water is literally freezing outside.

I map directions back to the hostel and eventually make it back.  It was hard sleeping cause there was a loud group of young French guys in the hostel room.  Most of the nicer hostels were fully booked or had a 2-3 night minimum stay.  Also they were sold out on the private rooms.  I always prefer a room to sleep in without strangers.  I feel like I don't have to be as guarded with my belongings cause I leave those lying around often.

For the next two nights of my stay in Amsterdam, I decided to leave the hostel and stay in a hotel.  Walking around in the freezing cold the night before left me very sick so I needed my own place to stay.  I placed a Priceline bid in the morning for $51, and found a nice 3-Star hotel in a pretty good area.  An hour later I was fully checked in to the hotel I just booked.  I love technology.


The next 40 hours if my trip flew by as I had a fever and tried to sleep through most of it.  I only got up to get food within that 40 hours.  Luckily the hotel was a 5-10 minute walk to a main plaza area with lots of food.

I do love Heineken!




"Sissy Boy" clothing...soooo many jokes.


I found his house!  He's not subtle.








I love the English graffiti!


Snow


This was at the corner...and they served pancakes.









On my last day in Amsterdam, I knew I had to take a tour of the Heineken factory even if I was dying sick.  The Heineken factory was only a 15-minute walk from the hotel (which seemed like an epic journey while trying to walk there sick).  I'm glad I went just so I didn't completely waste my entire time there at the hotel.  But I was very disappointed that the Heineken factory didn't meet my expectations. I know I was fantasizing, but I really hoped it would have been just like "Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory."  I wanted to ride in a boat over a river of Heineken beer.  The tour was pretty commercial.  They created a "mock" factory which wasn't that big.  They didn't let you go into the actual factory.  It was still interesting and a little fun.


I believe it is spelled "Beer."


"So if I have all four as a magical bowl of cereal, will I get drunk?"
The lady said "No."







It's not an actual ride and you don't get to see the real factory.  It's kind of a very small "mock factory."






Digital Beer Coaster

Overall, I was very disappointed with the Heineken Beer Tour.  For about $30USD, you get two 8 ounce beers and an hour long tour of disappointment.  Well, I did go into the tour with very high expectations. No one told me about what would happen during the tour.  I was really hoping to see the factory and something like "Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory."  I was hoping we would ride on boats over a river of beer...well, I can dream, right?  I would not go on the tour again, but I did have to go once just to see what it was all about.

Comments